Monday, March 30, 2015

EC - Communicating with Artist

Over this Spring break I added Antoine Allen on Facebook and he accepted. He is an independent filmmaker from New York - founder of his company Antoine Allen Films where he directs and produces his own films.
Antoine Allen started messaging me through Facebook and so we started talking.
He then offered to send me links of some of his work via email.
Overall it was a great experience to be able to see his work - his short film 'Split Decision' and some of the interviews and clips from premieres.
It was also great to talk to him and listen to some of the advice he offered. He is someone who started from the bottom and worked his way up. He recently premiered his debut feature, 'Life Is Too Short' and I was able to follow the photos of the premier and interviews on Facebook.
This experience really showed me the power that social media can have to connect people - I used to always think trying to connect with more successful artists would be a fruitless effort and that they would not reply, but this showed me that I was wrong in thinking that. Antoine Allen really likes to help aspiring filmmakers and there are many other artists out there who do too.

After this I also added several South African filmmakers on my Facebook and now I am able to see what work they are doing every day.


It was also nice to see which of these filmmakers won awards at the annual SAFTAs (South African Film and TV Awards) which took place this March. 


This experience as a whole has helped me to be more aware of what is going on in the industry and seeing other people post their work is a good way to learn and motivate myself. It also shows the power that social media has and the opportunities it offers that past generations did not have. The existence of such communication between the artist and audience has a great effect on the world - on future artists and the future art of existing artists. 
Mentorship is an excellent way for young artists to learn and gain experience, and social media does offer great opportunities for such relationships. 

1 comment:

  1. So glad to read through this post! What an amazing connection. This did not exist for me when I was your age studying writing and film here. I'm glad that you made this discovery, and of course someday you'll have to pay it forward and be a mentor to other aspiring artists, too.

    ReplyDelete